Global Initiatives: Latino Community Coordinator to be responsible for developing and implementing programs, which engage members of the local Latino/Hispanic community; assist in the maintenance of ongoing relationship-building with the local community; explore new opportunities, co-curricular and community projects by collaborating with university departments/programs and the Latino/Hispanic community.
Position is for 15 hours/per week (target hire date of June 1, 2015) for one year; reappointment to second year possible based on funding and performance.
Specific duties include:
- Latin American and Caribbean Festival (Pre-festival and post-festival duties) serve on the festival organizing committee; work on recruiting members of the Latino/Hispanic community involved in the planning and implementation of the festival; investigate and contact food vendors; set up appointment with City Council for reading of the proclamation; arrange for updating the banner; arrange for banner to be mounted (with City of Oxford); Complete the paperwork for rental of the booths; assist in recruitment of community volunteers; assist with promotion of the event in the Latino-Hispanic community; coordinate performers’ visits to schools; responsible for getting the performers to/from schools for school performances; coordinator of on-site logistics, day of festival responsible for setting up/putting down the festival (e.g., tents, tables), work with paid employees and volunteers.
- Cesar Chavez Program--serve on the organizing committee; promote to local community so they will attend; assist in program logistics.
- Database--audit of local, regional, state, and university organizations connected to the Hispanic Latino community of SW Ohio; begin paperwork for formal partnerships. Beginning of academic year “kick off” event-- organize a kick-off event for Latino Hispanic students that brings faculty, staff, international (from Latin American countries) community together.
- Creation of other/new programs--for example, create a Dia de los Muertos program that brings Latino-Hispanic community to campus; career day for Hispanic/Latino students. Other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications: BA degree in related field; fluency in conversational Spanish, competency in reading and writing Spanish; effective oral and written English-speaking communication skills; effective interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability and experience working with people of diverse national, ethnic, economic and/or cultural backgrounds; effective organizational skills.
Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license; knowledge of MS WORD, Excel.
Desired qualifications: History of community service, as volunteer or in leadership capacity.
Submit cover letter, resume, and list of three references to https://miamioh.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=678.
Screening of applications will begin May 1, 2015 and continue until the position is filled. Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Miami’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html.
Hard copy available upon request. Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.
Latest from Editor MLT
- Presidente Obama Anuncia Estándares de Contaminación de Carbono para Plantas de Energía
- CINCINNATI OPERA ANNOUNCES NEW CENTURY CAMPAIGN & 2016 SEASON REPERTOIRE
- CSO AND RHINEGEIST BREWERY ANNOUNCE LUMENOCITY® COLLABORATION BREW
- Nueva GUÍA para Apoyar Padres lograr el éxito en la educación de sus hijos
- LATIN STARS FILL STAGE AT 86th ANNUAL LULAC NATIONAL CONVENTION